Case File: Connection
Your Parenting Secret Mission:
Hold an impromptu Kitchen Dance Party.
Of course, sock feet (for good sliding and spinning) and silly moves are encouraged!
In our house, one of my personal rules is: If a kid asks me to dance, the answer is always yes. So far, I have never regretted following this rule.
10 Great songs for an impromptu kitchen dance:
- Men Without Hats – Safety Dance
- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy – Jumpin' Jack
- Madagascar Soundtrack – I Like to Move It – my kids and I have made a Pandora station around this one, just to get the energy up when it's time to clean up or cook dinner…or dance in the kitchen.
- SNAP! – Rhythm is a Dancer
- Ylvis – What Does The Fox Say?
- Alicia Keys – Girl on Fire
- The Beatles – Yellow submarine – Ok, I admit it's not the top dance-y song by the Beatles, but you've got to sing along.
- The American Authors – Best Day of My Life
- Crazy Frog – Axel F
- Paul Simon – You Can Call Me Al
I know, there are hundreds more I could include! What song makes the top of your kitchen dance party list?
Kitchen Dance parties make the list of Must Do Activities for 4-6 Year Olds…though I think they're must do for any age. Never stop dancing.
Parenting Secret Missions are quick ideas for connecting with your kids, trying out a new parenting idea, finding gratitude amidst chaos, sparking conversation and finally, inspiring fun! Don’t take them too seriously, read them with a spirit of adventure or experimenting and keep the mission in mind for the day if it strikes you.