What can you do with 150,000 gummi bears? Well, how about making a record-breaking piece of gummi art? At least, that’s what HARIBO, the gummi candy brand, has done. HARIBO's record-breaking artwork claims the Guiness World Records title for The World's Largest Jelly/Gummy Candy Mosaic.
The mosaic is a giant picture of the brand’s iconic Goldbear, measuring 353.1 square feet (32.804 square meters). It was made of approximately 150,000 HARIBO Goldbears, each laid by hand from 300 of HARIBO's Associates, their friends, and family, as well as community partners, including the Boys and Girls Club of Kenosha.
HARIBO and partners built the mosaic at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside, in Kenosha, Wis., the hometown of HARIBO's first-ever U.S. manufacturing facility. The artwork took four hours to complete and used custom acrylic 12″x12″ trays inlaid with the printed design that participants followed like paint-by-numbers using HARIBO gummies.
“HARIBO has inspired moments of childlike happiness for consumers for over 100 years, whether they're eating, sharing or – in many cases – playing with our tasty, fun, and colorful gummies,” said Seth Klugherz, Vice President of Marketing at HARIBO of America.
Launching a Fan-Art Contest
HARIBO started the year with this Guinness World Records achievement to launch its first-ever fan art contest, #HOWiHARIBO.
“We've seen countless ways our consumers have felt like kids again while playing with our over 25 varieties of HARIBO treats like Goldbears, Starmix and Twin Snakes, and it inspired us to create our own remarkable version of gummi art. We hope this larger-than-life mosaic brings smiles to our fans' faces and encourages them to continue to show us their creativity through the #HOWiHARIBO contest in 2024.”
To enter the #HOWiHARIBO art competition, fans can post photos or videos of their own gummi creations on Instagram with the hashtag #HOWiHARIBO. The contest runs until September 30, 2024 and prizes to be awarded include $5000 cash, a year’s supply of gummies, and merchandise. To learn more, please visit HowIHaribo.com.
Setting a World Record
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, each of their record titles must fulfill all of the following criteria. They must be:
- Measurable – Can it be measured objectively? What is the unit of measurement? We do not accept applications based on subjective variables. For example – beauty, kindness, loyalty.
- Breakable – Can the record be broken? Our record titles must be open to being challenged.
- Standardisable – Can the record be repeated by someone else? Is it possible to create a set of parameters and conditions that all challengers can follow?
- Verifiable – Can the claim be proven? Will there be accurate evidence available to prove it occurred?
Other Gummy Records
This is not the first time HARIBO has been associated with a world record.
- The most television commercials for the same product by the same presenter was awarded in 2005. In 14 years Thomas Gottschalk appeared in 206 TV and 118 radio commercials for HARIBO.
- The fastest marathon dressed as a candy confectionery item (female) was awarded in 2023. Annelise Broussard (USA) ran the TCS London Marathon, in London, UK, on 23 April 2023 4 hr 14 min 36 sec – dresssed as a pack of HARIBO gummies.
- HARIBO does not, however, hold the record for the largest gummy candy made. That gummy candy, weighing 1,728 kg (3,809 lb 9 oz), was made by Tanis, a manufacturer of candy-making equipmentfrom the Netherlands.